Cook | Position Description
YWCA Dayton, dedicated to the empowerment of women and the elimination of racism, seeks an energetic, dedicated person to be an integral part of our team. The Cook is responsible for ensuring that the food service needs of the YWCA domestic violence shelter are met and that the highest standards of kitchen operations are met and upheld. This person has the opportunity to make a difference daily and supports the vision, mission, and values of YWCA Dayton.
- Prepares food according to daily menu, following lead cook instructions.
- Completes daily production sheets if requested by lead cook.
- Maintains food at correct temperatures during all phases of storage, preparation and serving.
- Ensures that stock is rotated and opened containers are appropriately dated.
- Maintains daily production records as required by CACFP.
- Assists in maintaining kitchen in a safe, sanitary manner, meeting all food service license requirements.
- Assists in maintaining all equipment in safe and working order.
- Assists in maintaining kitchen and dining area in clean, sanitary conditions.
- Assists with production records or menus as requested.
- Maintains temperature log for steam table.
- Completes inventory when requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to count and measure food.
- Ability to follow a recipe and prepare foods in quantities of up to 125 people.
- Sensitivity to needs of families served.
- Flexibility, creativity, self-motivation and the ability to establish rapport with a culturally-diverse population.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Professional training in food service area or equivalent work experience.
COMMITMENT TO SERVICE:
- Must be responsive to the needs and requests of clients, residents, staff and Board of Directors.
- Must extend courtesy, friendliness and overall respect to all of the above.
- Will collaborate with other staff and/or departments to meet the needs of the organization.
- Will be available to times and events when evenings and weekends will be required to fulfill duties.
- Listens well, shares work-related information, is open to others’ perspectives, work styles and
- Willingly collaborates and cooperates with others in the organization.
- Develops effective working relationships at all levels and values these relationships as critical to
- Ability to address conflict in a respectful manner.
- Expresses ideas clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Consistently follows through on projects and issues.
- Flexible, adaptable and responsive to change.
- Ability to adequately respond to requests and demands in a timely manner.
- Adept at modifying plans/strategies as needed to best meet the needs of those involved.
TO APPLY: Please submit a letter of interest and your résumé to:
Human Resource Department
141 W. Third St.
Dayton, Ohio 45402
YWCA Dayton Culture and Values
Empowering Women and Eliminating Racism
YWCA Dayton is part of the largest and oldest multicultural women’s organization in the world; we leverage that collective strength into a unified movement joined through the comprehensive mission of eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
Founded in 1870, YWCA Dayton lives its mission and is a champion of women and girls in three key ways: direct service programming, community outreach and education, and advocacy and public policy support. Our core services are focused on preventing and responding to gender-based violence; supporting women’s economic empowerment; strengthening women and girls’ leadership development; and advocating for legislation and policies that promote racial and social justice for women and girls.
- Emergency shelter and crisis support services for women and children fleeing domestic violence
- Crisis and counseling services for survivors of sexual assault, human trafficking, and stalking
- Affordable housing and life skills training for single women transitioning to independent living from homelessness or abuse
- Housing assistance for women and children who have experienced domestic violence and families who are experiencing sudden homelessness
- Girls LEAD!, an in-school, after-school, and summer camp empowerment and education program for girls 11-18
YWCA Dayton continues to be a touchstone, a stepping stone, or a resting stone for more than 100 women and children, every day. We are constantly working to ensure that the Miami Valley community will always have amidst its future, a place dedicated to empowering women and eliminating racism.