YWCA Dayton's Monthly Recipes
Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches (Strawberry Banana)
- 5 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup sweet diced strawberries
- 11 sheets of graham crackers
- Slice bananas into disks.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until frozen.
- Place banana slices in a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Scoop banana into a large bowl and fold in diced strawberries.
- Line an 8 x 8 dish with parchment paper.
- Spread banana mixture into the pan in an even layer.
- Cut banana mixture into squares (use a graham cracker as a pattern)
- Assemble ice cream sandwiches.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag to store.
Sunny Pumpkin Cherry Bars
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter or peanut butter
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oats, barley, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together honey and sunflower seed butter. Microwave until warmed and pour-able, stirring every 20-30 seconds so as not to burn. Stir in pumpkin puree and egg.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the cherries.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
Spooky ‘Monster’ Tacos
Prep Time: 10 Minutes • Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 Lb. Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp. Salt-Free or Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 12 Taco Shells
- 3 C. Shredded Lettuce
- 1 Large Tomato, Diced
- 3/4 C. Salsa
- 3/4 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 C. Plain Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
- 24 Slices of Black Olive
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and give it a light coat of non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the 1 Lb. ground beef into the skillet and cook to brown.
- Once nearly done (about 10 minutes) sprinkle in the 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning and continue to cook until the meat is browned and cooked through completely.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Divide the meat evenly along the 12 taco shells, followed by the lettuce and tomato.
- Put about 1 Tbsp. of salsa and 1 Tbsp. of the cheese on each taco.
- Use the Greek yogurt to make two dollops for your eyeballs on each taco. Put the Greek yogurt into a ziplock bag and pipe it into the middle of the tacos.
- Put a slice of black olive into the middle of each Greek yogurt dollop to finish those eyeballs off.
- Enjoy right away!
Sweet Potato Rounds with Herbed Ricotta and Walnuts
Prep Time: 10 mins • Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1 large sweet potato sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 pinch Ground cinnamon
- Herbed Ricotta:
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1-½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt or to taste
- For Serving:
- 1 cup raw walnuts roasted and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries honey
- Add all of the ingredients for the herbed ricotta to a small bowl and stir well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add the sweet potato slices to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with grapeseed or olive oil. Sprinkle sea salt and ground cinnamon over rounds. Use your hands to rub the oil and seasoning on both sides of the sweet potato rounds. Arrange rounds on a large baking sheet (or two if necessary). Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the rounds, then bake for another 17 to 20 minutes, or until rounds are cooked through and crispy on the edges.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet. 10 minutes before the potato rounds are finished cooking, place the walnuts in the oven to roast.
- Remove sweet potato rounds and walnuts from the oven. Place walnuts on a cutting board and chop.
- Place oven on high broil setting and move the oven wrack second to the top shelf. Place a dollop of herbed ricotta on each sweet potato round and place in the oven for 2 minutes, just until ricotta is melty and warm.
- Add chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to the rounds. Drizzle with honey and serve!